Sunday, January 1, 2012

My First Movie Review: The Help

Since this is my first movie review, please don't expect too much out of me. I would just like to share my opinion of the movie (for more erudite criticism please read the weekly review columns in top international journals or visit RottenTomatoes.com). So, here goes...
 The Help
This movie touched me in a way the best of movies haven't recently. I've enjoyed many well-made movies in the past month - be it the dramatization and music in Drive or growing maturer with Adam as he combated cancer with humour in 50/50. But The Help in a different league for me - one of the few movies where I feel like the main character IS me. Not only is Skeeter the same age (a very trivial similarity!), but she has the same weaknesses and the same ethics, values and dreams. Hell, she even approaches relationships and love the same way as me! (Though I admit I have a weakness for long-lasting hopeless crushes, when it comes to my views on love and commitment, I really do think that if it doesn't happen properly I'm better off being single forever! There's no space for marriage for the sake of it!)
Based on how this movie affected me, I especially recommend this movie to every young female (student or professional) who wants to live her life with a purpose - in particular the scene where Constantine speaks to a young, dowdy Skeeter on a bench struck a very strong chord with me.
Furthermore, the developments with her romantic interest (I would not like to reveal too much for fear of ruining the plot) were a good lesson in how differences arise in relationships and one sometimes has to make a choice between romance and your mission. (No prizes for guessing which side I am on...!)
At times, being surrounded by women chasing beauty and romance and seeing the media forever glamorising attractive women, I forget that women who have real goals and missions are more beautiful in the long run than those who are superficially attractive. Of course, being gorgeous is not wrong. What is wrong is to spend the majority of my time only working towards looking good. In fact, not only do I 'work' towards looking good - which technically isn't exactly a waste - but I do most-definitely waste copious amounts of time wishing I looked better! I believe it is important for me to remember that my worth lies elsewhere and irrespective of my appearance, I must achieve those goals. Insecurities be damned!

4 comments:

  1. havn't heard this :)
    well will download :P
    http://deepakkarthikspeaks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Deepak Karthik
    Glad I persuaded someone to watch this - the movie is well worth your time, do watch it and spread the good word! :)
    Pls be warned: Although many guys will like it, just in case you don't like it, remember that most of the women around you like it - it's a bit like Mona Lisa Smile or Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants in its appeal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read the book! Unsurprisingly,the film is so lacking, comparatively speaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas, the beauty of books is rarely captured in a good movie. I guess everything I liked about the movie was in its plot, message and lines (all of which would have been lifted from the book), so not surprised that the book supersedes the movie! Looking forward to read it!
      Thanks for the comment! :)

      Delete

All comments, criticism and feedback are welcome! You can even post as Anonymous if you're really shy. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...